Monday 15 April 2013

Hawaian Birthday

My girls love planning their parties way in advance  - the party pieces catalogue arrives sometime in November and they are off!


All three are sorted with ideas and themes months before their birthdays - so this year Annie wanted Cinderella and Rebecca  Moshi monsters but Sophie was thinking beyond the catalogue and wanted a disco!!
 She eventally came up with the Hawaian Theme which gave a lot of scope for decorations but was a challenge when it came to the cake.
 


She didn't like the Hawaian themed ones I showed her, then we found a sprinkle cake and she loved the idea - though needed some persuasion to have two teirs rather then three!!

 I had been given some wonky tins when I made my sisters wedding cake so I decided to go wonky!

I coated the cakes with buttercream to seal them, chilled them, then did another coat of buttercream - then covered them in sprinkles - it was fiddly and there were sprinkles everywhere! but I loved the result.


For the topper I made some flip flops -  I used modelling paste for the base which I cut freehand, punched holes where the straps would go and allowed a couple of days for then to dry out.

 

 I painted the flowers on using food colouring  then used strawberring lances for the straps - with hindsight making them out of paste would have been less fiddly but I loved the way they looked - I finished the straps with a paste flower painted to match


   
  
The candles fitted into the design and I loved its simplicity. Sophie loved it which made even clearing up the sprinkles worthwhile!!


















The hawaian inspired cup cakes  were made using a chocolate mold and coloured chocolate.
 















Then just to add a touch of something slightly healthier I made some small fruit plates which the kids really enjoyed



 - well most of them - Sophie doesn't do fruit!!!













1 comment:

I'd love you to share your thoughts and ideas..