Saturday 20 April 2013

Mr Potato Head

The girls love dressing up and for Rebecca's 6th birthday she decided that she wanted a Buzz Lightyear party. She invited all her guests to dress as their favourite toys and was clear from the start that she wanted to be Buzz!
 I purchased a costume at a reasonable price  and decided that it would be fun for her sisters to dress as other characters - Sophie wanted to be Woody but all the costumes I found were either very expensive or just not nice, she had a hat so I decided that I could probably manage the rest!
I bought a pack of school shirts - kept two for her when she started school in September and dyed the third yellow - teamed with a pair of skinny jeans, brown boots and hat she was beginning to look the part - I tried to persuade her that she could wear the brown sheriffs waistcoat from the dressing up box but even at 4 Sophie was quite precise and that would not do!! So using the brown waistcoat as a template I cut the pieces out of white felt and sewed it together - I added black felt patches and overlarge white stitching round the front and armholes and she was happy.  
The star I printed from an image search on the internet though now I would probably have cut it out of felt! Hindsight is a great thing!!
We even added Andy's name to her boot and we were done  - which left Annie!

I thought that the potato heads would be fun and as she was quite little I decided to do it as a sandwich board . I cut a cardboard template  for the front and back and used this to cut two pieces of felt for each side that was slightly larger that the card. I then sandwiched the card between the felt and sewed it together -  The front piece was lightly stuffed with toy stuffing to make it more rounded. I joined the front and back with a small squares of felt sewing it at the front and using velcro at the back for ease of removal.
   





The features I made out of felt with velcro on the back so they could be moved around as in the game













It was so much fun though I think she may have got a little tired of being rearranged!!
 Cakes coming soon ...













 

2 comments:

  1. Why don't I remember this party? Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rosanna had chicken pox I think?

    ReplyDelete

I'd love you to share your thoughts and ideas..