Thursday 4 July 2013

It's in the rules....

Did you know birthdays have rules?  welll they do according to my children - what they mean is there are certain things that must happen on a birthday - obviously presents and cards - opened altogether on the morning of the birthday, birthday tea  on the day of their birthday - including Mum and Dads birthday, candles and cake on the day of their birthday and at some point a party planned months in advance!
(They still are not sure about the grown ups not having parties idea!!)

Birthdays are a big thing in our house - and I guess that is my fault - which is absolutely fine, you see for me birthdays are a celebration of life, a celebration of another year of knowing my precious children.






I think I probably always did birthdays but when Rebecca's birth went so drastically wrong and we came so close to losing her - it changed things, it changed us.





So when we came to her first birthday we had reason to celebrate - she was alive and well, she was growing and holding her own - somehow it became even more important to mark these milstones so we celebrate and thank God each year for each of our naughty, noisy and incredibly amazing girls.

I digress - so back to those rules! Rebecca's birthday this year fell at a particularly hectic time - and it was the day before her party - her party was sorted and I just had her moshi cake to finish - when she walks in and asks if her cake would be ready for tea ahhhhh how could have I thought I would get away with no cake for her birthday tea!!! I explained that it wouldn't - she just smiled a knowing smile and went out with Daddy - you see in her head she believed I could not possibly fail to produce a cake - it's in the rules!!

So I took the off cuts from her moshi cake - arranged them to form a butterfly,
armed Sophie and Annie with icing and let them get on with it - while I worked on moshi  - I helped them with the finishing touches but it was pretty much their own work and they were as proud as punch of it and Rebecca loved it - you see the rules simply say a cake - it didn't need to be huge or flash or perfect just made with love on her birthday.




I have made hundreds of cakes and you know I think this one might just be my favourite! 

I'd love to hear from you  - maybe your family have bithday rules or traditions you might like to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love you to share your thoughts and ideas..