Thursday 10 October 2013

So much to be thankful for...

Every now and again you listen to a sermon with the response ... I could do that! One such moment was when Gabriella Russo preached on being thankful.
She showed us her thankful jar, a simple way of remembering all that we have to be thankful for over the year. She set us a challenge - for a week we were to find one thing each day to thank God for.
We did this with the girls and I discovered two things :
Children are better at this than adults.
Some days it was hard to find one thing to be thankful for!
When I thought it through I concluded that this was because our selective memory forgets the good and dwells on the negatives of the days. Forcing myself to remember the good things was a great excercise so I decided that we would make ourselves a 'Thank you jar' and that I would try to regularly think of things to put in it. I was aware that I often start things and never finish especially if the are too structured so my hope was having the jar in view would remind me to write things down.
So I now have a jar full of things to thank God for, occasionally the girls have posted and I am looking forward to pulling them out at the end of the year and thanking God for his faithfulness to us this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love you to share your thoughts and ideas..