Wednesday 13 May 2020

New Skills

So I decided to challenge myself to knit a jumper with a fair aisle motif, and with some rather heavy hints - well a list to be exact I received a kit to produce a jumper. The key thing for me is that it was all knitted in the round  - so no sewing!

When I started I realised that along side the fair aisle design working with a chart - my original challenge to myself - I needed to learn German short rows! It was interesting and am not totally sure  I didn't make any mistakes but I have enjoyed the process








 - its not finished - obviously!! But it already looks like a jumper and I have extended my skills.

Little did I know that these were not the only skills I would be learning and re-learning this year. I am not sure I did half of the maths the girls are doing the first time round.

Lockdown has made me extend my knowledge and skills in many areas!

I have learnt that zoom is not simply something you do on a camera!! I have had to learn to communicate in new ways, in different ways and to get over seeing myself on screen!

The children too have been extending their skill set, alongside the challenge of on-line studies.




Rebecca has extended her crochet collection and is reading patterns with minimum help and is working hard on her GCSE art work.





Anastasia is learning to knit, cook and to paint with watercolour.





Sophie has learnt block printing, growing strawberries and practicing cubism as well as extending her
cooking knowledge.





































Together we are learning to paint a pear with water colours!
We are about half way through but so far it is looking kind of pear like!



For us we are trying to embrace the opportunities this experience has given us. To recognise that having a task or a focus helps our wellbeing and engages our brain. Over the years rather than crafts being something I 'just' did, I have recognised their value and the positive part they can play.  Never more so than now.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love you to share your thoughts and ideas..