Friday 14 March 2014

40Acts : Day Eight going over the top!

Yesterday Steve Legg shared the challenge of honouring others above ourselves :
"Jesus was extravagant. He didn’t just feed five thousand he had food left over; he went the extra mile. It says in Romans 12:10 that we should honour others above ourselves. That means we should go out of our way for them. "
So the challenge was to go over the stop, to step beyond the comfortable and do something generous.
I had lots of wildly unpractical and unaffordable ideas, and ideas were still buzzing round my head on the school run. Today should have been a rubbish day, Rebecca was unwell, and I needed to go to Tesco's to get the stuff they hadn't included in my delivery, and the reality is that it should have been a pain. But as I arrived it struck me, there were people here, people who I could bless, who I could make smile.
So now those ideas began to settle into some realistic plans.
The first would be to purchase two big tins of sweets and then give them back! So I found the store manger and explained that I wished to give the sweets to his staff. He explained how I could do this but was interested to know why, so I simply explained that I wanted to give something back, to be generous!
I paid for the sweets and gave them to the checkout supervisor - she was a little surprised!
I decided that there were some people in the village that could also be blessed, so I purchased 10 pots of daffodils for a £1 each, and spent the rest of the day looking after a poorly Rebecca ! Hence they were still in the car on the school run.
So when I called into the corner shop I took one to the lady working there, a customer started chatting to me, so much to her embarrassment I gave her one too by which time there were two more customers, so another trip to the car and more smiling people, I told them I bought them to make people smile! The first customers response was "I didn't know there were people like you around"
So from there I called in at the hairdressers it's amazing how a few flowers can brighten someone's day, so now I am back with the sick one! Two pots of flowers left to give away later!
I really enjoyed this challenge, it felt good, and made a few people smile today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love you to share your thoughts and ideas..