Thursday 20 March 2014

40Acts : Going local

Last year our washing machine broke, and though we intended getting it fixed weeks became months, and before we knew it over half a year had passed. Months of visiting the launderette, sometime twice a week, it was hard work and not a cheap option but it was great!
Great because I got to know the gentleman who worked in the launderette - by the time we left he would see me coming and come and fetch the bags, we didn't talk much but spending time waiting for washing I got to know him. But it didn't end there, I would often pop up to the greasy spoon to have a coffee. Not having a washing machine gave me opportunity to get to know people working in our local area.
In our new house we have a washing machine for which I am greatful! But I would like opportunity to get to know the people working in the village, so I found the reflection by Emily Bowerman really encouraging because it was real, it understood that sometimes local is just too expensive. The challenge and the encouragement was to choose one shop and frequent it often even if it is only to buy a pint of milk. So it's achievable, it's affordable, so here's the plan... we are going to buy a paper. Each Saturday we will go to the corner shop and buy a newspaper as simple as that, brilliant.
The girl school is in the next village next to a brilliant collection of beautiful small independent shops, so on days when the girls finish at different time we head next door to a lovely little cafe. Seeing this as positive and as an engagement with the local community is liberating, it's not a luxury it's an investment!
The cafe next to the school - and now I don't need to feel guilty about our weekly visit while the little ones are at choir.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love you to share your thoughts and ideas..